The first literary agent J K Rowling sent Harry Potter to rejected it with a slip of paper that said, 'My list is full. The folder you sent wouldn't fit in the envelope.' Photo: The Telegraph
At The Pigeonhole, we know that among you readers are some writers, and that among you writers, some are either already playing the self-publishing game or giving it some serious thought.
So, because we want this blog to be as useful as it is thoughtful, here we present the ultimate guide to self-publishing.
Each chapter contains several links to hand-picked blog posts that offer encouragement in the creative process, tips for building your presence as an author and the best available knowledge to take you all the way through to the launch of your book.
This will be a live resource, updated whenever we see something fresh and insightful, so bookmark this page. If you find this useful, please share it with your writing friends.
How To Self-Publish – The Ultimate Guide
- Chapter 1: The Creative Process
- Chapter 2: Building An Author Platform
- Chapter 3: Marketing
- Chapter 4: The Big Day – Your Book Launch
- Chapter 5: Self-Publishing Case Studies
- Bonus Chapter: More Self-Publishing Tips
The Creative Process
You’ve taken the plunge, but the road is bumpy, with wild volatility in daily word counts. You’re not alone. Check in on these links for solace and inspiration.
- How to Find and Work with Beta Readers to Improve Your Book | Jane Friedman
- How Do I Write 7,000 Words A Day? | Mark Dawson
- 30 Inspiring Writing Quotes From Famous Authors | Reedsy
- 6 Tips To Bring Your Book Back From The Doldrums | Smashwords
- Staying Sane In A Crazy Self-Publishing World| David Gaughran
- The Art of Writing The Shitty First Draft| Debbie Reber
- 10 Creative Writing Spaces To Inspire Your Work | Kristen Pope
- 7 Ways To Keep Writing When You Feel Stuck | Robyn Petrik
- The How I Write Archive | The Pigeon Feed
- 8 Creative Writing Tips From Famous Authors | Oxford Royale
Want to add a resource to this chapter? Just tweet us with ‘Self-Publishing Chapter 1’ and provide a link. Follow @thepigeonholehq
As the saying goes, an author without a website is like a pigeon without a dove. You need a little corner of the internet to call your own. Make it beautiful (and functional).
- Why You Need An Author Platform | Write to Done
- How To Build The Ultimate Author Website (In 1 Hour) | Tim Grahl
- Blogging To Build An Author Platform | Dave Bricker
- 7 Mistakes You’re Making With You Author Blog And How To Fix Them | Joanna Penn
- How To Build An Author Platform Through Email Lists | Joel Friedlander
- How Can I Build My Platform And Still Have Time To Write? | Kimberley Grabas
- The best time NOT to self-publish is…..(never) | Joe Wikert
- Build Your Author Platform: 7 Manageable Ways To Start From Scratch | Brooke Warner
- Improve Your Author Platform in 30 Days | Robert Lee Brewer
- Building Author Visibility Before A Book Launch | Jennifer Mattern
Want to add a resource to this chapter? Just tweet us with ‘Self-Publishing Chapter 2’ and provide a link. Follow @thepigeonholehq
You’ve written your book, commissioned a beautiful cover and you’re ready to take the world by storm. Left the marketing bit until now? It’s too late, friend. Self-publishing essentially inverts the traditional model – writers have to get people interested in the book as they write it and before they publish. Building relationships and a sense of community with readers can ensure long-term success as an author.
- Long-Term Marketing Models for Self-Published Authors | Jane Friedman
- Is It Worth Partnering With A Book Marketer? | Reedsy
- Your Book Is A Startup | BitTorrent Sessions
- 1,000 True Fans | Kevin Kelly
- 3 Myths About Social Media For Authors | Tim Grahl
- How To (Really) Make $100,000 Selling E-Books – Real-World Case Studies | Ryan Buckley
- Advanced Book Marketing Tips for Self Publishing Authors | Press Books
- How Tucker Max Got Rejected by Publishing and Still Hit #1 New York Times | Tim Ferriss
- 3 Ways For Self-Publishers to Break Into The Public Library | The Book Designer
- Self-Publishing: A Series of Events and Endless Self Promotion | Poornima Vijayashanker
Want to add a resource to this chapter? Just tweet us with ‘Self-Publishing Chapter 3’ and provide a link. Follow @thepigeonholehq
The Big Day – Your Book Launch
Our founder Jacob Cockcroft says that “terrible book launch parties” gave him the idea for The Pigeonhole. “I’ve always thought that there must be a much more exciting way to launch a book – and, more importantly, to build a global audience.” There is.
- Self-Publishing Checklist For New Authors | Joanna Penn
- Why Is My Book Not Selling? | David Gaughran
- 12 Tips For Successful Book Launch Parties | Joel Friedlander
- The 9 Must-Haves For a High-Performing Book Launch Page | Kimberley Grabas
- The Book Launch Strategy of a #1 Amazon Bestseller | Tyler Basu
- How To Use Twitter To Supercharge Your Book Launch | Caitlin Muir
- The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly of Launching a Bestselling Book | Jeff Goins
- Don’t Blow Your Book Launch Press Release | Jennifer Mattern
Want to add a resource to this chapter? Just tweet us with ‘Self-Publishing Chapter 4’ and provide a link. Follow @thepigeonholehq
Self-Publishing Case Studies
Here are some field reports from writers who have gone from start to finish. We’d love to read hear from anyone else who’s documented their own journey – please email email@example.com.
- How Self Publishing Can Establish You As An Expert | Dorie Clark
- Journeys To Publication – Two Case Studies | Literary Consultancy
- How To Write A Book, by Paul French | Paul French
- Crunching The Numbers on Self-Publishing | Nicola Pring
- How I’m Marketing My Self-Published Book | Charlie Hoehn
Bonus Chapter: More Self-Publishing Tips
These tips don’t fit into any of the categories above, but we couldn’t leave them out.
- 7 Brutally Honest Self-Publishing Tips | Therin Knite
- Is Your Book Lost At Sea? | The Book Designer
- Are You Scared To Submit Your Writing? | Debbie Reber
- The Smoke And Mirrors Of The Self-Publishing Game | | Jenny Granger (via Danny Brown)
- 27 Tried And Tested Tips That Will Enhance Your Self-Publishing Success | Sarah Juckes
- 5 Tips For Switching Genres| Therin Knite
- 25 Things Most People Don’t Know About Self-Publishing | Author Marketing Institute
Want to add a resource to this chapter? Just tweet us with ‘Self-Publishing Chapter 6’ and provide a link. Follow @thepigeonholehq